There is something so tempting about cake in tiny cups. They are pretty and perfectly sized to be a portion for each person. And today, I will show you a simple chocolate cheesecake recipe without using an oven. You won’t need all the professional tools for this easy dessert, and it can be prepared during the intervals while you whip up a weekend feast.
- 1 The passion for cheesecake
- 2 How to make chocolate cheesecake cups?
- 3 Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe | Dessert in Cups
The passion for cheesecake
Cheesecakes might have come from Greece
If you create a list of dishes Americans adore even though they don’t originate from the land, it will be endless! The same case goes for cheesecake. I mean, if we think about it carefully, it’s hard to believe cheesecake first appeared in New York when dairy products, cheese to be specific, have been around for thousand years longer.
In ancient Greece (nearly 800 years B.C.), athletes were served with cheesecakes during the first Olympic Games because these treats were the best source of energy to provide. Many weddings witnessed the presence of cheesecake made from flour, honey, wheat, and cheese – miles far from the intricate recipes we have today.
Romans conquered Greece and claimed many cultural values as theirs, including the little recipe. They changed it with eggs and crusted cheese baked under heated bricks. Sometimes, they would enrich their pastries with a cheese filling. Cheesecake traveled to other European countries along with the expanse of the Romans’ empire and made its way to the first cookbook in 1545.
Like many other foods, cheesecakes wouldn’t have arrived in the United States without the immigrants.
New York Cheesecake
it would be a huge flaw to start and end a story about cheesecakes without mentioning New York. The famous, classic NY-style cheesecake is served as it is – no caramel or fruit on top. It charmed every heart with the distinctive flavor of egg and cream cheese in their smoothest form.
Ever since the last century, NY citizens were so in love with cheesecakes that almost every restaurant would have this irresistible dessert in their menu, with their signature details woven in. The general credit goes to a man named Arnold Ruben.
Around the world
Interestingly, other areas in America welcomed cheesecake in their daily life with splashes of creativeness. Chicago loves some sour cream, St. Louis enjoys butter, while Philadelphia wants their cheesecakes extra light and creamy.
Of course, it doesn’t stop there. Expert bakers combined the original cheesecake with a layer of matcha, caramel, or chocolate cake, and shaped them with the suitable molds. Cupcakes and muffins are the most well-received forms of it due to the convenience of them during a party and also the elegance they have as a gift.
How to make chocolate cheesecake cups?Print
Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe | Dessert in Cups
We will make a three-layered dessert with cocoa powder and thick cheese cream on top, a jelly-like second tier with strong chocolate flavor, and finally, a crusty texture with fine Oreo crumbs.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Category: How to cake
- Method: Mixing
- Chocolate layer
- 20g Oreo cookies
- 6g butter (melted)
- Cocoa and cheese layer
- 50g cream cheese
- 10g sugar
- 10ml fresh milk
- 1.5g gelatin
- 43g whipping cream
- 2g cocoa powder
Step 1: Bottom chocolate layer
- Grind your Oreo cookies. It doesn’t have to be a completely smooth powder, though! The tiny lumps will give your chocolate cheesecake a bit of texture.
- Mix the ground cookies with melted butter before distributing it to the cups. I use my pestle to press on the substance and create an even surface, but you can use any tool that fits your cups, as long as it has a flat side.
Step 2: Middle cocoa layer
- Put cream cheese in a large bowl and soften the firm cubes a little by turning them over and over.
- Mix milk and gelatin separately. Under the effect of gelatin, it will become condensed and thick. Hence, we will immerse it in hot water and wait for it to melt.
- Blend gelatin-milk with cream cheese.
- Whisk 13g whipping cream lightly to make it spongy and add it to the mixture.
- Half of our mixture will be mixed with another 30g of whipping cream and cocoa powder. Stir these two ingredients separately until you obtain a thick brown cream first since it might be more difficult to dissolve if you throw everything in.
- Distribute the cream to the cups, preferably with a tube.
Step 3: Top cheese layer
- The other half of the cream will remain untouched and become the top layer in your chocolate cheesecake cups.
- Scatter more cocoa powder over the cream to finish the traditional look and add your favorite decorations.
- Replace the Oreos with your favorite cookies: Graham Crackers, Nutter Butters, Grasshoppers. Instead of crusting them with a pestle, put them in a thick bag, and utilize your rolling pin.
- If you are a chocolate lover, use your best chocolate bars! Melt and blend it with whipping cream as an alternative for the middle layer.
- After adding each layer to the cups, give them some time to cool and harden, so you can continue with the next layer without much trouble.
- Sprinkling chocolate chips on top of the cheese layer is a great choice as well, especially if you don’t want cocoa powder all over your counter.
- These tiny cheesecakes are at their best if you chill them for at least an hour before serving.
- Easily transform your cake with different molds such as rectangle, triangle, circle. The basic steps don’t change that much.
- Your chocolate cheesecake will last for a week at most if you keep it covered and cold. I wouldn’t recommend storing it for months by going extra with the wrapping and sealing.
Keywords: chocolate cheesecake
And that’s everything we have to share with you about chocolate cheesecake – another easy dessert recipe added to our long list of scrumptious treats that will always have people coming back for more. Don’t forget to check our Easiest Tips To Succeed In Making Japanese Cheese Cake out as well as subscribe to our channel for new cooking tips every day!