Vietnamese cuisine has a wide range of unique food which is so flavorful and tasty. Almost every province has its specialties. Today, we are going to cook a special dish originated from the central region of Vietnam, using a very familiar ingredient of this area – dried anchovies, namely crispy, sweet and salty dried anchovies.
There are some facts and health benefits of anchovies that you may want to know. In Vietnam, anchovies are a type of very small fish that is usually caught in the sea of some provinces in the central region. Therefore, food cooked from dried anchovies may be quite strange to people who live in big cities far from the sea. Dried anchovies are special because of its salty taste, and dishes from this fish is also easy to cook. With some simple steps we can make many healthy dishes from this small fish. This crispy, sweet and salty dried anchovies recipe is a good start, and all you need to do is to follow the recipe below to have another tasty food for your meal.
Crispy, Sweet and Salty Dried Anchovies Recipe
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Category: How to cook
- Method: Stir-frying
- 100g dried anchovies
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (or you can use vinegar as well)
- 2 teaspoons of mashed pepper
- Chili, peeled onions and garlic (about 4 cloves of each one)
- A cup of cooking oil
1. Preparing the dried anchovies
- Put the dried anchovies in a wok over medium heat without cooking oil.
- Stir them frequently until they are crispy. It is when you see white powder covering the outside of each anchovy, or you can use your hand to test if they are dry enough).
- Turn off the heat and transfer them to a plate while you are preparing for the next step.
Note: Before cooking the dried anchovies in this step, you shouldn’t wash them with water as they will become softer and tougher to your bite.
2. Preparing the sweet and salty sauce
- Slice the peeled onions, garlic and chili into small pieces. Then place them into a small bowl.
- Add a little of cooking oil into a wok under medium heat, then place onions, garlic and chili into the wok when the oil is hot enough.
- Stir them well until they are brown and smell good.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of fish sauce, a teaspoon of mashed pepper (or depending on your taste), and a teaspoon of lemon juice into the wok, then stir the mixture well. Now, you have the sweet and salty sauce for cooking the dried anchovies.
3. Cooking the dried anchovies with sweet and salty sauce
- Place the dried anchovies into the wok of sweet and salty sauce under medium heat, then stir them regularly for 2-3 minutes so that the dried anchovies absorb the sauce evenly.
- Add a tablespoon of sugar onto the anchovies, then mix them together until the anchovies become sticky.
- Transfer them onto a plate and decorate it the way you like.
Note: Sugar should be added near the end of the cooking process so that the anchovies don’t get burnt, and you can adjust the quantity of seasoning stuff to have the taste you want.
4. Serving the crispy, sweet and salty dried anchovies
- These crispy, sweet and salty dried anchovies can be served with rice when they are still hot or as a snack when they are cool.
- Contrasting with the simple appearance of the dish is a perfect combined taste of sweet, salty, sour, and spicy. Very flavorful!
Keywords: Dried anchovies, crispy sweet and salty dried anchovies howto