Some weeks ago, my friend took me to attend a Vietnamese cuisine fair on sweet desserts in her countryside. There were several sweet foods which were presented and welcomed to visitors. It’s wonderful. Because it seemed all kinds of sweet foods, particularly sweet cakes in various colors and yummy tastes were introduced. I and my friend dropped in every stall and tried a lot of food. I remembered I enjoyed my favorite cake called as a honeycomb cake with a spongy texture and a bit sweet.
Honeycomb cake is one kind of sponge cakes, which are used as sweet desserts are very popular and tasty in the traditional recipes of Asian countries including Vietnam.
Palm sugar is used as a main ingredient for this recipe. It is extracted from the toddy palm trees which originated some health benefits such as vitamins B and C, minerals, stomach and skin problems in treatment and etc. This is a specificity of honeycomb cake to bring you an amazing flavor without overly sweet that you usually find from various cakes; and a yellowish-brown color is specialized as well.
A perfect honeycomb cake must be mushy, fragrant and spongy. This recipe is not so easy and should have a little of patience with your process in success and pleasantness. However, I shall mention a very simple honeycomb cake recipe for enjoyable cooking, and now let’s start as below.
- 1 How to Make Honeycomb Cake
- 1.1 Ingredients
- 1.2 Instructions
- 1.3 Step 1 – Preparing the active dry yeast mixture
- 1.4 Step 2 – Preparing the flour mixture
- 1.5 Step 3 – Combining the yeast and flour mixtures
- 1.6 Step 4 – Boiling the palm sugar mixture
- 1.7 Step 5 – Preparing the perfect flour mixture for the cakes
- 1.8 Step 6 – Steaming the cakes
How to Make Honeycomb Cake
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 70 minutes
- Category: How to Cake
- Method: Steaming
- Cuisine: Asian food
- ½ big bowl of rice flour
- ½ medium bowl of tapioca flour
- 1 medium bowl of coconut milk
- 1 small bowl of water
- 3 tsp of active dry yeast
- 1 medium bowl of coconut juice
- ½ medium bowl of palm sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
Step 1 – Preparing the active dry yeast mixture
- Some minor but necessary tips for this mixture:
Some ingredients added to active dry yeast: Water must be warm around 30-40°C, avoid hot water over 40°C and cold water, sugar is required, not salt. All of these tips shall help avoid inactivating the yeast mixture.
- Stir well the water and sugar mixture until they are dissolved, add active dry yeast and stir well again. Cover and set aside under a dry and dark place for 10 minutes.
Step 2 – Preparing the flour mixture
- A mixture including rice flour and tapioca flour is added with ½ tsp salt in a bowl.
- Stir well and then coconut juice, whisk until all ingredients of this mixture are smooth and free of lumps.
Step 3 – Combining the yeast and flour mixtures
- When the yeast mixture is activated and risen up to small bubbles on the top layer, it is added to the available flour mixture and stir well with good combining ingredients (please note that this mixture plays an important role in a perfect cake, you must ensure the active dry yeast mixture should be frothy). Set aside for 30 minutes.
Step 4 – Boiling the palm sugar mixture
- Prepare another mixture with palm sugar (from Cambodia in this video) and coconut milk in a bowl, boil this mixture to be melted and gelatinous. Let it cool down.
Step 5 – Preparing the perfect flour mixture for the cakes
- Combine the palm sugar mixture and the flour mixture together and stir well. Rest for 1 hour.
- There are some bigger bubbles in this mixture after 1-hour settling, then divide into some paper cups (you can choose other kinds of cups you want).
Step 6 – Steaming the cakes
- Prepare 1 steamer to steam the cake. Someone shall complete this cake in baking. Therefore, you can decide which one you enjoy better.
- You can check the cakes for completion by inserting a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cakes are done. Now let’s serve this cake.
- A delicious cake is to have a honeycomb structure on the inside.
You can enjoy this kind of cake with a gelatinous coconut milk mixture to be more delicious in taste. This cake is served for breakfast, dessert or as a snack in a meal with a cup of hot tea. This combination is perfect and amazing.
Keywords: honeycomb cakes, sponge cakes, sweet cakes