Sometimes, figuring out which side dish to make and boost the flavor of the main course might give you a terrible headache, but I know exactly what you need! The crunchy shell embracing a mouthful of flavors will be the perfect combination with dishes that taste strong. I was a little surprised when I first heard of hush puppies cakes, but it has quickly become a top favorite of mine.
- 1 Why do we call them Hush Puppies?
- 2 Ingredients Needed for Hush Puppies cakes
- 3 Hush Puppies Step-by-Step Instructions
- 4 Expert Tips for Hush Puppies Recipe
- 5 FAQs about Hush Puppies cakes
- 6 More relevant recipes you can try
- 7 Hush Puppies Recipe
Why do we call them Hush Puppies?
Hush puppies are deep-fried fritters made from cornmeal, flour, milk, and several flavorings.
Like every other dish, these round cakes have their history as well. I have read a lovely story about an African cook, who was in the middle of frying her croquettes and fishes when a puppy came and aggressively asked for her attention. The woman gave the pup some of her food and whispered ‘hush, puppy’, and ta-da, we have a cute name for this humble dish.
According to most culinary experts, soldiers, hunters, and many others used to feed their dog with a fried ball to keep it from howling throughout the night. It was incredibly easy as they only had to mix a batter with cornmeal and flour, then use their campfire to cook the fritters.
For the Salamander, the hushpuppies were sort of cheap food, and they said it wasn’t the most pleasant thing to disclose to your neighbors.
Despite the background, hush puppies are a sought-after dish nowadays, as they commend the seafood and the BBQ many of us love, and they are amazingly easy to make.
Ingredients Needed for Hush Puppies cakes
Now, what is a hush puppy made of?
- Flour: It presents in all our pastry and fritter recipes because it decides whether the texture is thick enough. I use all-purpose, enriched, bleached flour.
- Cornmeal: The additive that gives your hush puppies their traditional flavor.
- Baking powder: Your cakes expand into sphere shape more easily with the help of this powder, which gives the dough the rise.
- Salt & sugar: Our fried balls won’t be perfect without the balance of these seasonings.
- Onion: Need I say more? The smell of fried onion makes our stomachs rumble.
- Egg: In most recipes with flour, you will need eggs to bind your dry ingredients together.
- Milk: We will use non-sugar milk to control the sugar amount and add more creaminess to the cakes.
Hush Puppies Step-by-Step Instructions
You will be surprised by how simple it is to make a hushpuppy fritter!
1. Mix the batter. Simply mix all your dry ingredients in a large bowl and toss them over before adding the liquids and stir until they combine well.
2. Preheat cooking oil. We need the oil to boil. You can use a little bit of the batter to test the temperature. If the sample sizzles and turns golden quickly, you are good to go.
3. Deep-frying. Use your spoon to measure the dough balls for equal size. Leave each batch 2 – 3 minutes to cook thoroughly.
Expert Tips for Hush Puppies Recipe
- I love vegetable oils because they are obviously healthier, and they have such a nice taste. But remember that you shouldn’t use olive oil to fry, no matter how delicious it is in your salads.
- There is a type of cornmeal labeled as ‘self-rising’, which can replace the baking powder and the salt.
FAQs about Hush Puppies cakes
What should I serve hush puppies with?
If you are talking about the main courses, BBQ and seafood are the best matches with these fritters. For taste enhancement, chili sauce and ketchup will be great too.
What is the best oil in your opinion?
I love vegetable oil and peanut oil since they have a higher smoke point and better temperature tolerance. Not to mention, olive oil has a very distinct smell. (1)
Can I store my hush puppies?
Of course, you can put them in an air-tight container and keep them in the refrigerator. However, they might become less crispy after you reheat them in the oven.
What to do if my hushpuppies fall apart?
It’s probably because you haven’t heated the oil enough! If you are not familiar with estimating temperatures, use a suitable thermometer, and start frying when the heat reaches about 360oC.
Do you have advanced tricks for frying?
I definitely do, and I would love to share them with you!
- Since we will deep-fry these hushpuppies, it’s better to have a standard deep-fryer than to use a big pot as a replacement.
- Try to make the best batter possible with fresh ingredients. It goes without a doubt that we need good supplies to start making a fabulous dish.
- Use the batter as soon as you finish mixing it. The longer it waits, the doughier it becomes.
- Leave some space between your hush puppies cakes. A big batch will lower the temperature and end up not being cooked thoroughly. How are we supposed to flip and turn the fritters if they overcrowd the pan?
- I keep mentioning preheating the oil, and I’m doing it again! At low temperatures, the batter won’t react, but it absorbs the oil and soaks your food instead, and you can say goodbye to the crunchy texture.
More relevant recipes you can try
With these recipes, you can practice your frying skills as much as you want! Now, let’s not stray too far from the main point and check our instruction video for hush puppies cakes out!Print
Hush Puppies Recipe
Once you take a bite, you won’t be able to stop – that’s exactly how delicious these hushpuppies cakes are!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Frying
- 70g flour
- 3g baking powder
- 70g cornmeal
- 2g salt
- ½ onion (small size)
- 90ml milk (non-sugar, fresh)
- 1 egg
- Cooking oil (for deep-frying)
Step 1: Prepare the ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, toss flour and cornmeal with baking powder and salt, which will give the batter the rise and the flavor we need. Use a hand-mixer to blend these dry supplies well.
- Peel the onion and divide it in half before cutting it into dices.
- Pour fresh milk into another bowl and mix it with a whisked egg along with the onion. Afterward, we will add the liquid substance to the dry ingredients, and that’s everything we need to do for the preparations.
Step 2: Fry the hush puppies cakes
- Turn the highest heat mode of your stove on and use enough cooking oil to deep-fry the cakes.
- Once the oil boils, scoop up a spoonful of the batter and drop the ball in the frypan. If you see bubbles and hear drizzles, quickly add more of them but make sure the number is within your control!
- Turn the cakes over and over until they are thoroughly fried and fish them out of the pan. You can use wax papers to absorb the oil so the fitters won’t be cloying.
- Don’t overmix your batter! It’s totally okay if your batter seems lumpy. Our ingredients need to bind, not dissolve.
- You can test your oil with a thermometer as well as a golden spoon. If you put the spoon in the oil and spot bubbles forming vigorously around the handle, the oil is ready!
- Split the fritters open and insert some butter, I guarantee you will be in awe!
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 150kcal
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 369mg
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 19.6g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: hush puppies, hushpuppy
If you can’t wait to try this easy and irresistible side dish, why are you procrastinating instead of rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands busy? And if you have fallen in love with these round, brown, and crispy Hush Puppies cakes, consider leaving a like and subscribing to my channel to receive new recipes every day!