I have introduced to you the easy chocolate mousse cake recipe which results in beautiful and pleasant small glass jars of cake. Today I will bring you another form of mousse cake recipe which you can make for birthdays, wedding anniversaries, or any kinds of celebration. That is the passion fruit mousse cake recipe.
I am sure that you will love the distinguished passion fruit smell and taste of the cake.
- Prep Time: 30 to 45 minutes excluding chilling time
- Cook Time: no cooking
- Total Time: 30 to 45 minutes
- Category: Mousse cakes
- Method: Frosting
- 1 cake base
For the creamy mousse layer
- 100g passion fruit juice
- 230g whipping cream
- 80g ultra-fine sugar
- 10g gelatin
- 30g water
For the passion fruit top layer
- 40g ultra-fine sugar
- 80g passion fruit juice
- 5g dissolved and heated gelatin
Step 1: Making passion fruit juice
You need around 200g/200ml of passion fruit juice for both layers of the mousse cake. You should select ripe passion fruits – those are with dark purple and wrinkled shells, and are also big and heavy. Such ripe fruits will give you more juice with better taste.
- Cut 5 to 6 passion fruits in halves. Cutting the passion fruits on a cutting board is safer because their shells are hard and even slippery if they are smooth.
- Use a spoon to remove the pulp and seeds to a blender. You can use only a strainer instead but it will take you more time to extract the juice.
- Pulse the blender on medium speed several times to separate the pulp from the seeds but not break the seeds because you don’t want any part of the seeds in the juice.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer to a bowl. Stir with the spoon and then press the spoon on the mixture against the strainer to extract as much juice as you can. Rotate the strainer while pressing the spoon will help collect more juice.
- Put the juice aside for use later.
Step 2: Making the creamy mousse layer
Step 2.1: Whipping the cream
- Place the whipping cream in a mixing bowl. Then put the ultra-fine sugar in.
- Use a hand mixer to whisk the cream. Start with low speed to mix the sugar in and then increase to high speed. Keep whisking until the mixture is fluffy, smooth and shiny.
Step 2.2: Mixing passion fruit thickening mixture
Gelatin is used in this passion fruit mouse cake recipe as a thickening agent. We know that when gelatin is dissolved in water, heated a bit and then cooled it will form a jelly. We will mix passion fruit thickening mixture as below:
- Place the gelatin in a small bowl and then pour the water in. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Spin the gelatin bowl in a microwave oven for 30 seconds.
- Take the gelatin bowl out, pour 100g passion fruit juice into the bowl and stir well.
Step 2.3: Mixing the whipped cream with the passion fruit juice – gelatin mixture
- Pour the passion fruit mixture into the mixing bowl of whipped cream.
- Use a spatula to mix the juice with the cream until all the juice is fully mixed and the mixture is smooth and a bit thicker.
Step 2.4: Forming the creamy mousse layer on the cake base
For the cake base, you can use one thick slice of a pre-made cake or you can make it yourself following our post on How to make banana sponge cake (just the cake). Also, you should use a springform pan, a pan with its bottom part can be removed from its wall, so that you can take the mousse cake out of the pan easily.
- Use a springform pan a bit wider than the cake base so that the creamy mousse will fill between the cake base and the pan. Wrap the inside of the pan with a plastic sheet. The plastic should be high enough for the mousse layers.
- Put the cake base into the pan, adjust it so that the space between it and the pan is even all around. Then pour the creamy mousse mixture onto the cake base.
- Pack the mousse layer by tapping the pan on a hard surface and tapping your hands on the side of the pan.
- Refrigerate the cake for 1 hour.
Step 3: Making the passion fruit jelly top layer
- Place the sugar in a bowl.
- Pour 80g of passion fruit juice into the bowl and stir until all the sugar dissolves.
- Put 5g of dissolved and heated gelatin into the bowl and stir well.
- Take the mousse cake out of the refrigerator and pour the passion fruit mixture on top of the creamy mousse layer.
- Place some passion fruit seeds on top as decoration.
- Refrigerate the cake again for 1 to 2 hours.
Step 4: Decorating the passion fruit mousse cake
- To give the passion fruit mousse cake a more appealing look, apply some decoration on top by using melted chocolate and some saving whipped cream from step 2 like ours. Decoration ideas are open to your creativity.
I made this delicate passion fruit mousse cake for my daughter’s birthday. She loved the cake and its taste of passion fruit juice very much. Well, who can resist such delicious mousse cake?
Keywords: passion fruit mousse cake, mousse cake, mousse cake recipe