Sometimes, I prefer sweet bread more than the common type, and I think you can already tell the reason. It doesn’t need a filling or an additional dish to be a full meal. Furthermore, you can have a sweet bread bun for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert. With a cup of coffee or tea, it can be the perfect snack for an afternoon energy boost. Last but not least. we will be making a rice cooker bread, hence no oven needed!
Sweetbread for holiday
The holiday season is around the corner, and baking is sort of a traditional activity that you wouldn’t want to miss. However, we might be caught amidst thousands of trivial deeds, and spending time on little snacks or desserts seems a little intimidating. And it’s when no-oven recipes come to your rescue!
I’m sure you have the essential ingredients stocked in your kitchen for a yeasted dough with a sweet, buttery flavor. The most time-consuming step is kneading and resting, yet you can utilize it and do other things while waiting for your dough to expand!
You might be wondering why we need to give this kneading step so much time (1), and the answer lies in the fat that is responsible for the desirable tender texture. We gain the fats from butter, oil, egg yolk, but they all slow down the formation of the gluten bonds and the yeast. The accomplice of fats is sugar, surprisingly. Moisture is the main condition for yeast to rise, but sugar absorbs moisture way too quickly.
Another reason why I love sweetbreads is the versatility of the flavors. You can be as creative as you want with the fillings, toppings, or inclusions. Usually, the holidays you are celebrating play an important role in this matter.
Rice cooker bread recipePrint
Rice Cooker Bread | Vietnamese Sweet Bread
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Category: Bread
- Method: Cooking
- The ferment
- 45ml non-sugar fresh milk
- 20g sugar
- 2.5g yeast
- The dough
- 2 eggs
- 10g butter (melted)
- 125g flour
- 20g sesame
Step 1: Mix the dough
- In a large bowl, add fresh milk, sugar, and yeast before stirring them up. We will let it rest for 10 minutes, so the yeast has enough time to react.
- Break the egg and whisk it with melted butter.
- Pour this mixture into a new bowl with sieved flour. By now, your yeast should ferment and expand already.
- As you mix the ingredients up, the flour will slowly absorb the liquid substances and become a squishy dough.
Step 2: Shape and bake
- Lay the batter on your working platform and knead it well. Use your knuckles to add more pressure and eliminate all the air gaps.
- Put the dough back in the bowl and cover it with a lid or a plastic wrapper. Give it another 60 minutes to ferment. You should see it expand twice or thrice after.
- Divide the mass into 6 equal parts and roll them into spheres. You should pull the dough inside out and reverse, leaving no air in the balls.
- Put them in the rice cooker. Since I have 6 of them, I decided to form a flower bread with five petals.
- Spread egg yolk and sprinkle some sesame on top. Cook for 30 minutes. Before taking your rice cooker bread out, give it another 5 minutes to cool down.
Although it is a simple recipe, there are still several tips you might want to keep in mind for the best outcome!
- Do NOT over-mix your batter! There will be tiny lumps in the dough. If you try too hard for a smooth mixture, you will end up with tough and rubbery bread instead.
- A stand mixer is your best friend if you don’t want to knead by hand.
- You can preheat the cooker pan and grease it with oil before putting the dough balls inside for cooking. They will cook more thoroughly and not burn.
- Like most types of bread, this sweet bread tastes as good, if not better, the next day.
Keywords: rice cooker bread
If rice cooker bread radiating of buttery smell with a crispy texture and a soft inside is tempting to you, why not gather the ingredients right now and try making it right away? With a special shape or a handmade package, you can warm someone’s heart by gifting this treat to them. As usual, don’t forget to subscribe to our channel and receive daily updates about baking!