Today I will show you how to make sweetened pineapple slices. These sweetened pineapple slices will taste sweet and a little bit sour because green pineapples are used instead of ripe ones. They are not dried pineapples slices so they are a little bit wet, soft and supple to a bite. I like to have these sweetened pineapple slices while drinking tea with my friends and chatting about this and that. What a pleasant time and a sweet treat!
You will find how simple it is to make these pineapple slices. You will only use pineapples and sugar. Well, also some small amount of salt to make green pineapples less sour. Most of time spending for this recipe is resting time. The actual time involves real cooking is only around 45 minutes. Anyway, it is worth spending your time cooking to bring happiness to your loved ones, isn’t it?
Sweetened Pineapple Slices Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Category: How to Cook
- Method: low-heat cooking
- 1 green pineapple (1kg)
- 300g white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
1. Cutting and soaking pineapple slices in slightly salty water
You should choose a green pineapple with big eyes so that it is easier for you to remove its skin and eyes. Green pineapple slices will not be so soft so they will not get broken during the sweetening process.
- Stir 2 teaspoons of salt in a big bowl of water for soaking pineapple slices to make them less sour.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the skin and eyes of the pineapple. You can do this faster and save more flesh of the pineapple with a pineapple eye remover.
- Cut the pineapple into slices of 1 to 1.5cm thick. They will shrink. Therefore, if the slices are too thin, they will get broken.
- Soak the slices in the salty water you have prepared for about 2 hours to lessen the sourness of green pineapple.
2. Soaking the pineapple slices in sugar
- After soaking time, remove the pineapple slices from salty water and let them dry for a while.
- Use a fork to create as many tiny holes as possible through the hard core of each slice to help it get softer.
- Soak the pineapple slices in white sugar for around 2 hours or until the sugar is dissolved and absorbed in the slices.
3. Cooking the pineapple slices
- After the sugar dissolves we will cook them in sugar to create a sugar syrup coating
- Heat a frying pan and pour all the sugar liquid that you obtain from soaking pineapple slice into the pan. Cook under low heat until the sugar liquid becomes thicker.
- Place the pineapple slices into the pan, no overlapping or stacking, and also the remaining sugar liquid if any.
- Turn to high heat for a while to bring the sugar liquid to a boil again then turn back the heat to low.
- Frequently turn the slices to make sure they are cooked and absorbed sugar evenly.
- It will take around 45 minutes to complete this cooking. Turn off the heat and keep the pineapple slices in the pan for a while to cool down.
- At completion, the pineapple slices should still be a little bit wet and shiny from thickened sugar syrup coating.
Keywords: sweetened pineapple slices, candied pineapple slices, sweetened pineapple slices howto