What to diversify your family menu is sometimes a headache. Like many of you, at times, I go to the market but still don’t know what to cook for lunch or dinner. To make your choice easier, this post will show you how to cook crispy, tender and flavorful fried pork belly strips with chilies and lemongrass. These tasty fried pork belly strips can go well with rice, rice vermicelli or white bread. Therefore, it makes your choice even much, much easier because you can make it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I guarantee you will love this food as it is quite simple too. So, let’s cook.
Delicious-smelling Fried Pork Belly Strips
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: How to Cook
- Method: Frying
- 400g pork belly
- 1 chili (more if you like spicy)
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of five-spice powder
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 tsp of seasoning powder
- MSG (optional)
- 30ml cooking oil
Notes on selecting good quality pork belly
Quality of the pork belly decides how good your food is. Therefore, you should pick good quality pork belly. For this fried pork belly recipe you should choose the strips which have:
- healthy pink color of the meat and creamy white color of the fat;
- firm and continuous texture;
- more meat than fat; and
- skin on.
1. Preparing the pork, chili, garlic and lemongrass
- The pork belly should be in strips of 2 to 3cm-thick and about 15cm-long. Wash them, soak them in slightly salty water for some minutes, then wash them again and let them dry.
- Thinly slice and roughly chop chili, lemongrass and garlic together. You should remove seeds of the chili before slicing and chopping it. Don’t chop them too small or they will get burnt easily over frying.
2. Seasoning the pork belly strips
- Place the pork belly strips in a mixing bowl.
- Put the chopped chili, garlic, lemongrass, together with sugar, seasoning powder, five-spice powder and MSG (optional) into the bowl. Don’t use much sugar or your pork strips will get burnt but not cooked through.
- Turn the pork belly strips back and forth many times and also press them in your hand until all the granular ingredients dissolve.
- Let the seasoned pork strips stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour for them to absorb the condiment. The deeper the pork slices absorb condiment, the more tasteful they become after cooked.
3. Frying the pork belly strips
For this recipe, you can fry, bake or grill the pork belly trips. I opt for frying as it is the easiest way. Now, let’s fry the pork belly strips.
- First, remove pieces of chili and lemongrass from the pork strips because you don’t want your pork get burnt with these pieces.
- Next, heat a non-stick frying pan then pour the cooking oil in. Don’t use too much oil because fat from the pork will be coming out over frying.
- When the oil is hot, place the pork strips into the pan, with the skin facing down. Turn the heat down to low heat.
- It is important to keep the lid on the frying pan during frying process because the pork skin will pop and the oil will shatter. With the lid on, the pork will also be cooked through while waiting for its sides getting golden brown.
- Check and turn side of the pork strips until all the sides get golden brown, especially the skin should be crispy. It will take you 15 to 20 minutes to reach this stage.
- Finally, put all the chopped chili and lemongrass into the pan. Then turn the pork strips from side to side over the chili and lemongrass, until the lemongrass gets golden. This will enhance the delicious smell of the food which can make your mouth watering.
4. Serving the fried pork belly strips
Cut the fried pork belly strips into thin slices and serve hot with rice, rice vermicelli or white bread. You can pair these fried pork belly strips with some fresh cucumbers and lettuce.
This food will increase your appetite and I hope that it will also increase your love for cooking.
Keywords: fried pork belly strips, fried pork belly recipe, fried pork belly howto