To me, my mother’s dishes are always the best. I find each meal has her beloved in. How about you? Here I introduce one of her delicious foods specified with Vietnamese style that I’ve ever eaten enjoyably for a long time but I’ve still remembered the specific taste and flavor. What is it? It’s the braised pork shank. As I posted the previous recipe that was pickled pig ears made from part of the pig cut range brought to you a tasty food, now is another pork recipe which is also added to my favorite menu due to its exciting fragrance.
This dish is cooked with pork shanks, the meaty part of the front leg of the pig, or a full pork leg if you want, therefore it can be served with a lot of people at once.
Pork shanks are children’s favorite dishes as well. With a thick skin layer covered with a full meaty inside making a fat and meaty food, children will feel appetizing and yummy.
The braised pork dishes, individually the braised pork shank dishes, provide your body many rich nutrition values, and also an attractive taste and flavor, that you cannot ignore and add the extra rich meals for whom as an epicure. Let’s take a look at my new recipe as follows.
How to Cook Fragrant Braised Pork Shank Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Category: How to cook
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: Vietnamese Food
- 1 pork shank (the seared outside)
- 1 pork cheek (the seared outside)
- 1 medium bowl of minced galangal
- 3 lemongrass stalks
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp fermented rice
- 1 cup of cooking oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp seasonings
- 2 tbsp sugar
1. Initial process for the pork
- I combined the pork shank and cheek to cook this dish.
- The pork shank and cheek were initially proceeded by searing on the skin under high heat until all the outsides were browned before braising.
- Cut the pork shank and cheek to fine chunks and place in a large bowl.
2. Prepare the fragrant spices for marinade
- Smash and thinly slice lemongrass stalks and chili. Peel and smash turmeric.
- All of these ingredients including minced galangal, seasoning, sugar (you can add more if you like sweet), fish sauce, fermented rice and shrimp paste are marinated in the meat bowl. Well mix and set aside for 20 minutes.
3. Braise the meat mixture
- Pour some oil in a preheated saucepan over high medium heat to add minced garlic and turmeric in it with a nice smell, add and frequently stir-fry the meat mixture for 10 minutes until the meat is firm and melted by spices.
- Pour water to ensure the meat is barely submerged. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the meat is tender for 20 minutes.
4. Serve the dish
- You see I have a tasty and flavorful dish but not less healthy.
- Please enjoy your perfect food with your family members with some beer or wine in any season of a year. This dish can be combined with bread, rice noodles or rice, which is preferred to have a perfect meal from this uncomplicated recipe.
Keywords: braised pork shank, braised pork