Even the sweetest tooth would admit that a tad of sour flavor will make every dessert dish so much easier to consume. I think it’s why fruit cakes and creams are as popular as the ones packed with butter and cheese. ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’, thus I will show you how to make an apple yogurt cake like a pro!
The use of yogurt in baking
Enhancement for Desserts
When someone mentions baking or dessert in general, we will usually think of baking powder, butter, and whipping cream. It’s totally understandable! And with the lack of greasiness and sweetness, yogurt doesn’t seem to be a compatible first choice. Most of us use it as a dessert itself, enhanced by syrup or diced fruits, and not a potential ingredient for cakes, and we have been missing out a lot.
Yogurt is the ultimate secret trick for a clever cook rather than a clumsy alternative, since it effectively makes the desserts less cloying and more tender, thanks to the acidic property that strengthens the activity of baking soda. If you know how to combine yogurt with the common cake recipes, the sponge will be moister. Not only does its fermentation element promote your digestion but it also upgrades the flavor – similar to butter yet richer.
In general, professionals advise us to use plain, full-fat yogurt for most treats. Greek yogurt is good as a substitute for cream cheese, mayonnaise, or ricotta in thick batters. However, you would want to be careful and not overuse this buddy in the kitchen. For example, if your recipe requires a heated dairy product, yogurt won’t work since it will separate at a high temperature.
As for me, I love how well it goes with the fruity flavor in my apple yogurt cake due to the slight sourness. If it is not convincing enough, let me tell you about the benefits of yogurt for your health.
Benefits of Yogurt for Health
- Digestive benefits. Yogurt is well known as a source of protein, although different types have different contents in them. Protein prolongs the satiety while the fermentation microorganisms increase the conversion rate of the nutrients you consume.
- Perfect smiles. The sugar content in yogurt isn’t granulated or powdered sugar added to it, but the lactose naturally existing in milk. The great thing about it is this sugar doesn’t erode our tooth enamel and cause decay.
- Effective diets. For it regulates the activity of your digestive function and gives you a healthy supply of protein, it also helps you burn more calories during exercises and gain lean muscles.
- Decreased blood pressure. Surprisingly, the salt in our body can lead to kidney and heart diseases as well as hypertension, and unfortunately, we charge more salt than necessary for our bodies. The potassium in yogurt can flush out the excess salt.
- Nutrients. Each serving of yogurt can provide you with potassium, phosphorous, iodine, zinc, vitamin B5, and many more. Even the strictest vegans would be contented with the nutrients yogurt can give them.
About Yogurt Cake
It’s a humble recipe from French, named ‘Gâteaux de Mamie’ and translated to ‘Granny Cake’. The lovely grandmothers add yogurt to their cakes and measure the ingredients using yogurt jars. The fruits totally depend on your preference!
The apple yogurt cake is irresistible with a thin skin embracing the fluffy sponge, the sweetness from sugar commending the sour yogurt, and the apple. In a rush? No problem! Your dessert will be ready after less than an hour.
Apple Yogurt Cake RecipePrint
Apple Yogurt Cake | The Best Apple Cake Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: How to Cake
- Method: Baking
Here are the supplies you need:
- 1 apple
- 3 egg yolks
- 10g sugar
- 15ml oil
- 40ml yogurt
- 50g flour
- 3 egg whites
- 20g sugar
Step 1: Prepare the batter
- Carefully crack the eggshell in half and use it as a means to separate the yolk from the white.
- Add sugar, cooking oil, yogurt, and flour to the egg yolks then whisk them up lightly for a smooth paste. Don’t forget to sift the flour to get rid of any possible lumps!
- Use the automatic mixer to blend the whites and sugar into a cloudy cream.
- Mix the two substances above and let your batter rest for a few minutes.
Step 2: Mold and bake
- Skin the apple peel, remove the seeds and divide the fruit into 8 slices.
- Line the baking pot with some oil to prevent sticking and burning.
- Pour the batter into the mold and push the apple slices into it. This step will create a pattern on the surface of your cake and let you know exactly where to drive your knife through for a piece of apple in each serving.
- Bake at 160oC for 30 – 40 minutes.
- The oil makes the texture of your apple yogurt cake moist and light, hence you don’t need to replace it with butter. You can try canola, avocado, grapeseed, or sunflower oil.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon powder for the cozy feeling in winter!
- Here is a small trick if you aren’t sure if the cake is baked enough: insert a toothpick into the center of the sponge and see if it comes out clean.
- As the cake is not too sweet, it will go well with either tea or coffee. You can also see from the nutrition facts below that it’s perfectly fine for dieters!
- If you put this piece in an air-tight container, it can last 4 days at room temperature.
Keywords: apple yogurt cake
And that was everything I want to tell you about my favorite apple yogurt cake! The combination of juicy fruits with yogurt makes a rare healthy cake recipe that is simply irresistible. Don’t forget to visit my channel for expert cooking tips like Spicy & Crispy Chicken Burger, Mochi Ice Cream, and Sausage Quesadilla!