I don’t think we will ever get enough of fruity pastries because who can say no to the flawless combination of baked buttered flour and natural sweetness from fruits. Thus, I have found and tried the best homemade apple pie recipe for you!
- 1 Fun Facts about Apple Pie
- 2 What is the best apple to use?
- 3 Best Ingredients for a Perfect Apple Pie
- 4 How to Make a Homemade Apple Pie?
- 5 Advanced Tips in Apple Pie Recipe
- 6 FAQ about Homemade Apple Pie Dessert
- 7 More Dessert Recipes for You
- 8 Delicious Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
Fun Facts about Apple Pie
When it comes to popularity, this buddy of ours ranks extremely high on the US chart, but the dessert didn’t originate from America. In fact, US folks didn’t know about it until European immigrants arrived. Even the nutmeg and cinnamon were from faraway Indonesia & Sri Lanka, so how did Apple Pie become popular in America?
As written by Food52, apple pie first appeared in English under the culinary influence of the Ottoman Empire, the Netherlands, and France as early as the 1390s. After making its debut on the first American cookbook in 1796 (American Cookery by Amelia Simmons), the dish quickly attracted more and more consumers, turning into a national favorite in the 20th century with the help of advertisements, news, and the wars.
By the end of the 40s, the expression ‘as American as apple pie’ has become a patriotic symbol that everyone knows (1). During World War II, soldiers tended to declare that they were fighting “for mom and apple pie”.
(Interestingly, at first, American apple pies had a ‘coffin’ pastry crust, which means it is inedible and not part of the treat!)
In spite of it being a treat of autumn, why can’t we have it throughout the year? It is too good to be a dessert of fall and thanksgiving only. With the innovation in every field of life, we now have the supplies available any time of the year.
What is the best apple to use?
If you are a perfectionist, you would like to research your main ingredients.
Most chefs include Granny Smiths in their recipes because they are available year-round with outstanding green skin. It has the delicious sourness and the texture we are looking for. In need of sweetness? You can combine it with other apple lines below!
Let’s go for Braeburn if you want a balance of flavors. The apple scent becomes distinctive when baked, with a natural whiff of cinnamon and nutmeg. This New Zealand guy is super firm in terms of texture, the heat won’t break its form.
For a delectable look, try Cortland apples since they don’t turn brown after you skin them. They are super juicy and crispy, though the flavor fades quickly after harvest.
Another type that you can easily recognize is Golden Delicious thanks to the bright yellow peel. They aren’t the top choice to eat raw with the bland taste and the mealy structure. That said, don’t pick them and expect them to be crispy.
Best Ingredients for a Perfect Apple Pie
- Apple: I love my apple slices crispy and not too sweet, for the sugary sauce has enough of it. Let’s pick the type you love most!
- Flour: Unbleached all-purpose flour is my default choice. It works in every part of the pie crust as well as the filling.
- Sugar (brown and granulated): It has an important role despite the small amount. After all, it wouldn’t be a dessert without some sweetness!
- Butter (unsalted): The greasy taste, the creamy feeling, the irresistible smell – they all come from the top-quality butter.
- Cinnamon & Ginger: They are responsible for the warm, tangy taste. If you somehow have nutmeg, you will be able to enjoy the original apple pie at its finest.
- Cold water: It prevents the butter from softening as well as flaking in the crust.
How to Make a Homemade Apple Pie?
1. Make the pie crust. This step consists of mixing, chilling, rolling the dough, and shaping it with a pie dish. We will also blind-bake it if needed. Truthfully speaking, the process consumes a lot of time, but it’s totally worthy.
2. Prepare the filling. Flavor our apple slices with sugars and powdered seasonings.
3. Shaping and baking. Lay the flattened dough on the dish and scatter the apple topping over. When the baking time ends, check the tenderness of the apples with a toothpick.
4. Serving. Give it about 2 hours to cool and couple it with vanilla ice cream if you are so big of a sweet tooth!
Advanced Tips in Apple Pie Recipe
– This recipe requires quite some time to bake and to cool down afterwards, therefore, you should start 4 – 5 hours prior to serving time.
– A deep pie pan will allow more space to fit more apple pieces.
– A pasta machine ensures the thin and evenly flat pie crust.
– Topping the apple filling with strips of dough allows some room for the heat to escape and keep your crust crunchy.
FAQ about Homemade Apple Pie Dessert
Why is the bottom of my apple pie soggy?
The reasons for a squishy crust vary, but the most common might be an excess of water when you prepare the dough or you have over-flattened it.
How to avoid soggy pie crust?
Aside from blind-baking and coating the surface with egg wash, you can try brushing the blind-baked with melted chocolate and let it dry before adding the filling. Of course, it works best for chocolate lovers!
Another obvious method is to reduce the moisture. After soaking the fruits with sugar, we will strain the juice coming out of them or boil it into a thick syrup to add back to our homemade apple pie.
How does Jamie Oliver make his apple pie?
This famous chef adds vanilla seeds to the dough, simmers the apple in sweeteners for syrup, and puts extra effort in the decoration, thus you can attempt these special tricks if you are into something extravagant!
Does store-bought dough work?
I still recommend making the dough at home for the best possible result, but if you have little time in hand, remember to follow the guidance printed on the package and get the blind-baking done in the right way.
More Dessert Recipes for You
Let’s watch the instruction video before getting to work!Print
Delicious Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
The ultimate favorite dessert during Thanksgiving is now ready for you to enjoy all the time!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Category: How to cake
- Method: Baking
- The pastry base
- 450g flour
- 330g butter
- 75g sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 20ml water (cool)
- 3 tsp vodka
- The filling
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 30g brown sugar
- 50g sugar
- 2 tbsp powdered ginger
- 3 apples
- 1 egg
- 20g sugar
1. Apple Pie Crust Recipe
- Gather 450g flour and 330g butter in a stand mixer (since the amount of ingredients is fairly large), heaping them with sugar, salt, water, and vodka as measured in the section above. When they all blend well with tiny clumps of butter, turn the mixer off and proceed with the next step.
- Lay the moist batter on a lightly floured surface and knead it a bit more if you want to! Use cling film to wrap the dough up and let it rest in the refrigerator for an hour.
2. Easy Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, cinnamon powder. brown sugar, white sugar and toss them for an evenly blended mixture.
- Peel the apples’ skin and cut them into slices (about 3 millimeters in thickness) before scattering powdered ginger all over and pouring the sweetener above in.
3. Assemble Apple Pie
- Flour your work platform and divide the rested dough into 2 parts, the ratio is 1:3.
- Flatten the larger dough ball with your rolling pin and make sure it’s not thicker than 3 millimeters.
- Spread the sheet over a tray with a compatible size and trim the edge for a neat look.
- Arrange apple slices on the raw dough in a spiral pattern.
- Work the rolling pin on the remaining dough as well (keep it 1 – 2 millimeters thick) but instead of topping the sauced apple with it, we will cut the sheet into thin strips and use them to form a checked pattern. Don’t forget to tuck the rim of the strips under the edge of the crust to adhere them together.
4. Finish & Bake The Pie
- Break the egg in a new bowl and whisk it into a smooth egg wash. Use a brush to spread it on the pie crust.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top for that crunchy feeling before baking the apple pie at 200oC in an hour. You can check on it now and then to ensure it is not browning too much, tent with foil if needed. The higher oven rack will bear a higher temperature and vice versa, thus please adjust it to your wills.
- Remove the baked, golden brown pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for about 2 hours before cutting it into equal servings.
- We can cut the apples into smaller pieces to fill the pie thoroughly and bite easily after. Another important notice you should keep in mind is the crispier the apples, the thinner the slices need to be.
- If your crust and filling seem a bit wet, you might blind-bake the pastry base slightly.
- The apple stuffing can be tested for doneness as well. It should be almost soft, as the apples will continue to bake under the remaining heat of the pie.
- You can store this apple pie for 2 days and reheat the slices for 1 – 2 minutes with the microwave when serving them.
- Serving Size: Slices
- Calories: 660kcal
- Sugar: 30..4g
- Sodium: 307mg
- Fat: 34.9g
- Saturated Fat: 21.5g
- Carbohydrates: 80.4g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7.6g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
You will see why this homemade apple pie recipe is my ultimate favourite for every occasion when you take a bite of the crunchy crust and feel the flavorful filling, not to mention the flimsy yet crisp surface. If you want more delicious dishes like this, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel and turn on the notification for new videos!